Brand Name : LANZIN
Generic Name : Levocetirizine
Preparation : 5 mg Film Coated Tablet
Pharmacological Category : Antihistamine (H1 antagonist)
Mechanism of Action (MOA)
LANZIN (Levocetirizine) is the active enantiomer of cetirizine.
LANZIN binds to central and peripheral H1 receptors and prevents histamine from reaching its site of action. By blocking histamine, LANZIN produces antihistamine effects, inhibiting respiratory, vascular, and gastrointestinal smooth-muscle contraction; decreasing capillary permeability, which reduces wheals, flares, and itching; and decreasing salivary and lacrimal gland secretions to relieve chronic urticaria and signs and symptoms of allergic rhinitis.
LANZIN has two fold higher affinities for H1 receptor than that of cetirizine.
- Absorption : Rapidly and extensively absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract
- Peak Plasma : 0.9 hour
- Protein Binding : More than 90%
- Metabolism : Less than 14%; via aromatic oxidation, N and O-dealkylation (via CYPA4), and taurine conjugation
- Elimination Half-life : 8 to 9 hours
- Excretion : Urine (85.4%); faeces (12.9%)
Indications and Dosage
- Seasonal allergic rhinitis
- Perennial allergic rhinitis
- Chronic idiopathic urticaria
Dose: One tablet of LANZIN once daily in the evening
Somnolence, nasopharyngitis, fatigue, dry mouth, constipation, diarrhoea, cough, pyrexia, pharyngitis, vomiting, otitis media
- Hypersensitivity to levocetirizine, cetirizine, or any component of the formulation
- End-stage renal disease (creatinine clearance under 10 ml per min) and patients undergoing hemodialysis
- Children with renal impairment
- Nursing women
Warnings / Precautions
- Caution in narrow angle glaucoma, prostatic hypertrophy, stenosing peptic ulcer, pyloroduodenal obstruction and bladder neck obstruction.
- May impair mental alertness.
- Avoid alcohol and other CNS depressants.
- Additional reductions in alertness and CNS performance impairment may occur with alcohol or other CNS depressants.
- Clearance of levocetirizine is decreased with theophylline.
- Plasma concentration of levocetirizine is increased with ritonavir.
Pregnancy Category : B
LANZIN 5 mg : A box of 20 blisters, each blister of 10 tablets