Brand Name : HYOSPAN FORTE
Generic Name : Hyoscine Butylbromide
Preparation : 20 mg Tablet
Pharmacological Categories : Antispasmodic, Antimuscarinic, Anticholinergic
Mechanism of Action (MOA)
HYOSPAN FORTE blocks the action of acetylcholine at parasympathetic sites in smooth muscles of gastrointestinal, biliary and urinary tracts and secretory glands.
HYOSPAN FORTE is quaternary ammonium compound that does not cross blood brain barrier. Thus, HYOSPAN FORTE has rare central side effects.
- Absorption : Partially absorbed following oral administration (8%)
- Bioavailability : Less than 1%
- Protein Binding : Low
- Metabolism : Liver
- Elimination Half-life : Approximately 5 hours
- Excretion : Via urine 50% (as metabolites)
Indications and Dosage
Smooth Muscle Spasm (Non Specific Colicky Abdominal Pain, Billiary Colic, Renal Colic, Dysmenorrhoea, Adjunctive Relief in Cancer Pain and Radiological and Diagnostic Endoscopy of Gastrointestinal Tract) : One tablet of HYOSPAN FORTE four times a day
Irritable Bowel syndrome : Half a tablet of HYOSPAN FORTE three times a day, increased if required to one tablet of HYOSPAN FORTE four times a day
MOST COMMON : Blurred vision, photophobia, increased intraocular pressure, dry nose, bronchospasm (occasional), tachycardia, palpitation, constipation, xerostomia, dry throat, urinary retention
Myasthenia gravis, megacolon, untreated narrow angle glaucoma, tachycardia, hypertrophy of the prostate with urinary retention and mechanical stenoses of the gastrointestinal tract
Warnings / Precautions
- Caution in Down’s syndrome, children, and the elderly.
- Caution in gastro-oesophageal reflux disease, diarrhoea, ulcerative colitis, autonomic neuropathy, acute myocardial infarction, hypertension, conditions characterized by tachycardia (including hyperthyroidism, cardiac insufficiency, cardiac surgery), pyrexia, and in individuals susceptible to angle-closure glaucoma.
- When hyoscine is given with alcohol or other CNS depressants, it may enhance the sedative effects of those drugs.
- The anticholinergic effect of drugs such as tri- and tetracyclic antidepressants, antihistamines, quinidine, amantadine, antipsychotics (e.g. butyrophenones, phenothiazines), disopyramide and other anticholinergics (e.g. tiotropium, ipratropium, atropine-like compounds) may be intensified by hyoscine.
- Concomitant treatment with dopamine antagonists such as metoclopramide may result in diminution of the effects of both drugs on the gastrointestinal tract.
- The tachycardic effects of beta-adrenergic agents may be enhanced by hyoscine.
Pregnancy Category : C
HYOSPAN FORTE 20 mg : A box of 20 strips, each strip of 10 tablets